Monday, September 9, 2013

Days 4,5. Rest. 52 miles from moccasin point to pine crest.

   Yesterday, coincidentally ended up being our Sabbath day. We slept in because of the hard day through the desert, and got our stuff ready by 11 to leave (bad idea with the 100 degree weather). Josh's tire was flat again, and we didn't have any more tubes, and we went through a big ordeal of having a taxi driver run to the store and deliver some tubes for us so that we could continue riding. Well that took so long that we just decided to take the day off instead of the next day. The fires are still raging through Yosemite so we opted to not even go there and just turn around and only lose a few miles instead of more than 100. We figured if we went to Yosemite we would want to see stuff, and it was so hot and smoky that we wouldn't have been able to see any mountains. 

Crazy house boats on Don Pedro Lake
at moccasin point. 
   So we turned to highway 108 "Sonora pass" instead. A bike tourist we met, brian, had just come down 108 and told us it was beautiful with no smoke! That's exactly what we wanted to hear :)
   We are now at about 6000 feet elevation at pine crest campground. It is a fabulous place. Pine crest lake is breath taking. 

Pine crest lake

   We rode 50 miles and almost all of it was straight up. It really was a fun ride though even through the tiredness. Our legs felt good and strong the whole day. Highway 108 is an amazing ride for anyone who might ever be interested. Haha. 
Looking right into the sun

Nice to have an open pass

 
A lookout point 
Riding uppppppppppp

   Of my friends, the only one other than josh that I think might so this highway ride with me would be Benny. The thing that is crazier is that tomorrow is when we actually make the pass climbing 4000 feet within 9 miles. That will be tough. But after that it's all downhill :) I'm honestly looking forward to it because it's something I have never done before. 

   Since the night of day one the fingers on my left hand lost a lot of strength. I figured it would just get better, but I finally asked mom about it and we found  out I had cyclist palsy. It's a nerve in my wrist that got inflamed from my riding position. It kinda stinks but it's getting better (don't worry about me haha). I got some extra padding from the guys at Sonora cyclery today (they were awesome guys!) , Merrick and Dave. Check out my new ride! Mom you'll love this. 

Riding In style 

Today at wal-Mart in Sonora, our restock before the mountain met some pastors, Neil, his wife Amy, and John. They were in Sonora for a pastors conference. I'll admit I was quite jealous. They all seemed so awesome. I really wish we could have hung out for a week. They prayed with us for our trip and also for my hand. Praise God. 

God has been providing us with everything we need, and it has been incredible. Even withy huge food needs, as Josh can attest to. I think I'm eating three times the food that he is. And like 3 times the food I normally eat. It's crazy. I feel like I could eat every half hour haha. 

Thanks for your prayers. Pray we make it over the pass tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment