Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Days 26,27. 9.30-10.1.2013. Salida to Salida to Salida

If there was any place I would want to live, or visit for a long extended period of time that I have been on this trip... it would be Salida. And it's even close to Montrose! 

But here is just a simple rundown of what we have done in Salida. 
- Went out to dinner with Paul and had elk meatloaf and talked about his job as a forester and firefighter and listened to his amazing stories. 
- Watched Sunday night football on Paul's huge HD tv. 
- We got massive care packages from both of our mothers! Thanks so much! These are the best care packages one could imagine. Good thing Josh got a new wheel, and I got a bigger backpack, so that we can fit some extra food! 
Is this real life?

- We played tourist around the town, met people while doing so, and figured maybe one more day might be a good idea. 

The Angel of Shavano on Mt. Shavano. Wow.

- Had an amazing dinner party with some families from the Salida First Baptist Church. They organized (Thanks James!!!) a dinner for us undeserving crazy young men to share about our trip and purpose of it, and more importantly to connect with many more of God's people. What an amazing experience. 
- We toured the church, talked with Pastor George in his office (FULL OF BASEBALL STUFF!!) for quite a while. 
- Decided to stay another day. 
- Went fly fishing with Paul, and Ron Dobson. Seriously???? On the Arkansas river. What a great expeirence. I caught a 14 in. brown trout with a fly rod! Granted I probably missed 10 others, but I got one! Ron was my personal river guide, and fly teacher, and Paul did the same for Josh. What a great morning/early afternoon. 
Catching the Brown Trout. I dropped it in the river while posing for a picture with it. Fisherman Blunder. 


- Got pizza with Paul, and Ron. 
- Mountain biked the Monarch Crest trail! Ranked #4 in the world somebody told us. The views were unlike any other I have ever seen. We were over 12,000 feet in elevation, on mountain bikes! The Youth Pastor James let us borrow his two amazing full suspension mountain bikes. Seriously? What a day!!

From 12,000. On a bike. 
I could have stayed there a while. 

- Sheri, Goerge's wife, made a pork roast for dinner.
- Put Josh's new wheel on his bike. 
- Getting ready to ride to Pueblo in the morning. 

Reflections...
Sometimes God wants to slow us down and have us stay a little longer. We met some amazing people, and made some huge lifetime memories. God even gave us a cool connection with a lady (Mary) from a retail store while we were looking for postcards. I will never forget Galatians 6:10. my own quote "love everyone as much as you can, but go way overboard for other believers in God's family." 

I am looking forward to Kansas in a few days where we can just get on our bikes and cover some serious miles. I have so many things to reflect on. I hope I can remember it all and I am praying that God will always refresh my memory. 

Thanks for following us and for your prayers. Salida was a great halfway point, now we are ready and refreshed to tackle our second half. 

God bless, 
Tailwinds (especially in Kansas)
Mark

Some Parting Salida Shots. 







No comments:

Post a Comment