Friday, October 4, 2013

Days 28,29. 10.2-3.2013. 100 miles from Salida to Pueblo, 90 Miles from Pueblo to Haswell.

Yesterday, wednesday we finally, and sadly, left Salida. We did, though, have an amazing ride to Pueblo with almost all of it being downhill and close to 50 miles of it folliwing side by side, the Arkansas River. 

It was tough saying our goodbyes to Paul after all the things he had done for, and with, us. We had some amazing prayer time right before we left to get back on our trek. Both James, and George also came over in the morning to catch us before we left. What amazing people we got to meet! 

Paul :)

George and Sheri connected us with Paco, their youngest sons friend, in Pueblo. So we rode hoping to make it to his apartment for the night.

Our ride was smooth, and my body felt amazing after a few rest days. It was nice to have a few rest days to get prepared for the second half of our trip, which involves more miles, and more miles per day, although we think it should be easier terrain. 

We made it to Pacos just at dark, about 7:45. Then we went out to dinner with Josh (George's son) and a few of his friends at the Country Buffet. You can believe we got our $11 worth. The short stay at Paco's was amazing. Him and his roomates Andrew, and Brandon, were so welcoming and encouraging. We stayed up talking and just sharing stories. What a fun time. Paco is the man! I also loved the comment that Andrew shared with us this morning as he was saying goodbye "it feels like the Acts church all over again, just welcoming believers into our home!" 

The hardest part for me on this trip, as I knew it would be, is saying goodbye. I always wish I could stay longer and get to know somebody more. Paco, I wish we could have stayed longer!

Arkansas river


The steed



-----------

Today, 
the plan was to ride 110 miles to Eads, CO. We got an early start and felt good. We ended up running into some headwinds all day, although they weren't overbearing, they did slow me down a bit. I think Josh could have gone a bit further and faster but today was a slow day for me. We ended at 90 miles instead in Haswell. The Rockies are long gone now, and we are in the flats, the super flats. 

It feels good to be in my tent again, although I am missing the shower. But tomorrow is going to be another great day that The Lord has made. We are hoping to get as far away from that huge snowstorm that is coming through the west as we can. I don't think it will hit us, but we are hoping to get some of the winds from it ;)

Our new scenery

Snacks on the fly 

God Bless,
I miss the Arkansas River,
Tailwinds,
Mark

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you put a picture of Paul on your blog. Great to see him! I guess you didn't stop to float in the Arkansas this time did you?
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to comment on Josh's hair, but I'm kinda at a loss for words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's getting to be rather like a jungle up there, no doubt

      Delete