Friday, September 6, 2013

it's a very dangerous business, Frodo, stepping out of your door....

what a start.

Golden Gate Bridge at sunrise. Baker Beach where we dipped our tires in the great Pacific (and kick up a LOT of sand into our bikes). Sunlight shining down on us as we rolled back across the Embarcadero. 

John (our fearless and tireless guide to the Bay Area) lead us up and out of the steep winding streets of Oakland/Piedmont, saying farewell just outside the town of Danville. Mark and I were finally on our own, and by providence or divine intervention, our first turn was onto Camino. ("the way/path/journey" in Spanish, if I remember correctly from a Black Keys interview)

Cannot even begin to describe the scenery. You'll have to come over to our place when we get back and bug me to show you some photos. Huge rolling hills covered in tall grasses patched yellow from the western winds and heat. Impossibly green trees dotting the hill crests. Hundreds of cattle grazing right up to the side of the road. 

The last four miles proved the most difficult of the day. Without a well-earned and much-needed bananas / peanut butter break (tip to bikers: mailboxes are fantastic tables & bike stands) I don't think we would've made it. 

First two miles started with what looked to be a pretty difficult climb. Seeing a "KOM START" spray-painted onto the road a few minutes later confirmed our fears. (Scott, Andy, other Strava users, you know what I'm talking about)

The climb was worth it, without a doubt. Cruising down to the lake & campsite, we were blessed with a spectacular sunset bathing the valleys and hills in husky yellows and golds. 

Camp setup was same 'ol same 'ol, and I'll do my best not to bore you with the details because it's going to be a very similar story each night, regardless of whether we roll in before or after dark. (camper tip: headlamps for every camper, you won't regret it, I recommend Petzyl). Also, the stars are somewhat incredible. 

We've been blessed since day one of planning this trek, and our first day on the road was no different. God is good, and he provides for us in so many ways. 

May the road rise up to meet you,
josh & mark
the lifecycle team

p.s. after a long and difficult internal debate, I decided against mapping the entire trip on Strava. (apologies to Scott & Andy) 

Instead, I'll do my best to give a google maps screen shot of our progress each day, and I'm working on a way to track total elevation climbed right now too. 

Can't figure out a way to publish/update our website (lifecycleamerica.com) yet, but the numbers in our blog (lifecycleamerica.blogspot.com) will be accurate each day. 



3 comments:

  1. Love the map Josh! What a great idea. I hope you'll keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don"t know how Kathy did this I hope I can figure some of this out before
    October

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you DID figure it out! nice work :) love you!

      Delete