Friday, September 6, 2013

Real day 1


(Sorry for the short journal. More later)

We began the day riding back to the Golden Gate Bridge again. It was so glorious at 6 AM. Definitely the highlight of the day, and maybe trip. We rode across the bridge and back and also dipped our tires in the pacific at Baker beach. 
I also have my first battle scars from the ride (day one I know ugh). I got caught on a trolley track. My knees are scraped. My bike also took its first ding in its frame (probably the sadest part). 

Then John led us out at 11:30. 78 miles later...
My legs are more than tired. After any ride that I have ever done I have only felt tired legs, I hadn't thought that until my experience today. When I finished the ride today (78 miles, with some insanly steep hills up to 14% grade) my legs just hurt. But after a shower, dinner, a cozy tent, and rolling my legs out they feel much better. I'm sure I will be ready to go tomorrow. I realize a lot of this is a mental game, and I'm in it to win it.  

Josh was a champ today and kept me going. He didn't seem to get tired until the final hill, which ranks with the toughest and longest I have ever done (probably is both).

We are camping at Del Valle Recreation Area. It is a cool place, although it's location is extremely not biker friendly. We climbed 2 miles straight up and then went 2  miles straight down. We will have to climb back out in the morning. 

John led us out today for the first 20 miles. We would have totally been lost without him. I think I biked the most beautiful road I have ever biked in the early afternoon with John and the redwood trees. 

It is  finally starting to feel real knowing that I will wake up early to ride again. 

I'm exausted and going to bed. Maybe we will pull in to camp earlier tomorrow. I sure hope so. 









2 comments:

  1. the picture in the Pacific Ocean is my favorite
    Did you have a passerby take it? or was Joe still with you?

    ReplyDelete