Saturday, February 22, 2014

Day 2. 2-22-2014. Arriving In Guatemala.

It's been a while since mom and I set foot in Guatemala in 2007. I look back on that dental mission trip with very find memories. I really see that trip as the first time God started getting my attention and sharing his heart with me for the world. I remember helping pull teeth, hiking in the mountains, playing basketball in 100+ degrees, and pooping outside (haha, but seriously). We were able to share testimonies in youth groups, mountain churches, and really share the good news. Now as I sit on a similar plane, with a new team, I can't help but think of what God has done in my life the past seven years. Wow how things have changed. I cannot thank God enough for his spirit living inside of me bringing a passion for his heart like I could never have on my own. 
    So this time it is water, water is the physical need we will be meeting. Water is our way to share the love of Christ. I honestly cannot think of a better vessel to use for this purpose. Not only is water the most essential part to our lives as human beings, but Jesus talks an awful lot about the "living water" that is the truth of the gospel (John 4:10-14). I pray God that your water will change hearts and ignite passions throughout this world. Your water is eternal, truly living, and completely life changing. I pray for the people of nueva concepcion that their hearts would be blown wide open to the truth of your love and compassion. I pray for no credit to us for any of this, but to you be the glory. 
     
     On another note, as I sit on this plane, I -------am utterly blown away by the amounts of support we received from home, Walloon lake church, Harbor Light church, All-Saints in NC, Grace ministries in IL, all the amazing people we met on our cross country trek, my family, the Klevorn family, my fiancĂ© Alexis, and all of our friends. It is of none of out own doing that we sit on this flight awaiting a trip of a lifetime. It is because of you guys being on board with our hearts, matching our passion for Christ with your own passion. Thank you for your trust. Seriously, thank you. 


---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later in the day.....

So I am feeling very humbled today. I am sitting on a nice and warm Guatemalan porch, at least compared to anything in Michigan typing about the blessings God has given us. I feel no deserving of this. I am in prayer that the spirit will lead people's hearts into an understanding of what the well will mean when they receive it. We have a great little place to stay at the LWI base. Alvaro, Manuel, Blanca, and Manuel's wife and mom have taken great care of us. The food has been phenominal, and their service and dedication to us second to none. Our team is a asortment of Canadians, a texan, and three New Yorkers, and us of course. 

Here is a basic itinerary of how the week will go.

Sunday- breakfast at Cafe Candessa, church service, packing, leaving for the small hotel near the village in the Trocha community near Nueva Concepcion. 

Monday-Thursday, we will be getting up early from the "half-star" hotel as Alvaro called it (it's nice to know it won't be a luxurious experience) and head to the Trocha community to work on the well, and teach hygene lessons. Both of these events will most likely last to mid-afternoon or later depending on varous things. The well will most likely be around 150 feet deep. The well we will be drilling will assist 90 families (all of about 7 or 8). What a cool impact. The hygene lessons also will be very instrumental in the proper use of the well to prevent sickness and death. After we work on the well project and finish for the day, covered with mud, we will hang out with the community villagers even more, and play with the children. I will be practicing my spanish as much as possible. 

Friday- we say goodbye to the community and head back for Antigua. On the way we should be able to stop and see the previous well that was built in December as well. So after that visit, we would have a touring day in Antigua. 

Saturday - we have to wake up very early to catch our 7 AM flight out of Guatemala City, and eventually will make our way back to Northern Michigan. 

We will most likely not have wifi over the next 4-5 days, so we will post the daily journals later. But, it is possible that we might, so stay tuned. 

To him be the glory
Tailwinds,
Mark and josh, lifecycle. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment