Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day 36. 10.10.2013. 88 miles from Marshfield to Summersville

This morning was blissful, riding through the fall Missouri hills. It's days like today where at times your legs forget they are climbing. It was so quiet and peaceful. 

The peace was shattered, however, in a moment needing quick reflexes. I was riding in front and startled a blue heron which was wallowing in a puddle in the ditch. It flew right in front of me to the point where I had to dodge it while flying down a Missouri hill. I am pretty sure I could have run into it if I tried to. What a neat moment to remember, although I'm sure there would have been quite a story had there been a colision. 

We did also see a red tailed hawk today. It was fun actually knowing what a type of bird was for once haha. 

I loved seeing the ivy surround many of the telephone poles and barns that we passed by. There are also many small backyard ponds that are so smooth that they reflect anything that is near them. Missouri is quite beautiful, not in a breathtaking way like some of the national parks, but in a winding and peaceful way. It is crazy how different it is than Kansas. There are no straight lines.... not one. Every road climbs, drops, twists, bends, curves, dives, and anything else. 
Trying to dry out clothes on the fly 

Missouri farm

Does the picture show those hills?

Attempt at a quick shot with te sunset and one of those ponds. 


Tonight was super fun, we went to the local restaruant/bar (I think the only food place here) and watched the entire tigers game 5 in Oakland. The guys supported me in this decision haha. We won 3-0 and I am so glad to still have a chance to watch a few games at home maybe if the tigers make the World Series. We are now camping in a gazebo in the city park which is found in the middle of "the square". The town revolves around the square, or rather, the town is the square. The city hall, grocery store, restaurant, gas stations, and who knows what else are set up in a square with the park right in the middle, and in the middle of that park lie our tents. Kinda fun!

Tomorrow we've been told should be our hilliest day with much longer hills. I guess we will see! 

God bless,
Tailwinds,
Mark 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you are doing some laundry after 2500 miles
    Hope Josh does as well

    ReplyDelete