Sunday, October 13, 2013

Days 38,39. 10.12-13.2013. 84 miles from Johnson shut-ins state park to Chester, IL. 33 miles to Murphysboro state park

These past two days have been ones to remember. 

We finally made it out of the rough Missouri hills, at least into less steep hills. We crossed the Mississippi at Chester in the dark, but the history and vastness of the iconic river were still noted. The ride yesterday was again strikingly beautiful. There were only two mishaps; the first being riding through some clay mud and getting our wheel wells clogged, the second was my blowing a tire (more than just a tube). But those aside we made it safely to the Fellowship of Eagles to stay in their own little bike shack! It was incredible. We even had a free shower. 

We also waited out a rainstorm in the morning, but that ended up being a nice time of rest and relaxation under an awning with a few other families. We met a couple who takes a lot of nature photos in Missouri for their website. Their names were Ron and Kathy. How about that?! I had to get a picture of them for my own parents. I wonder if I will ever meet any other Ron and Kathy couples? I thought it was so great that I got a picture with them. 


We got our own individual pizzas at the FOE and our new friend Rick picked up our tab, then the couple with him gave us cash for breakfast in the morning. I am still blown away by peoples generosity when they find out what we are doing. I have been so inspired on this trip to become a giving person like so many of these amazing people have been to us. 

Today.... how could I ever explain it in text. We went to church at Grace Ministries Church in Chester Illinois. I had, the morning before while we were getting rained on, called from the state park and left a message at Grace Church. I just asked if they had someone who would host us for a night, but I did not hear back from them, so we found the place at FOE. As soon as Pastor Ron Coleman started his sermon he mentioned my voicemail and how he was sad he got it so late last night, but was still so glad that these cyclists came to church. So then he proceded to hand us the mic and have us tell the entire congregation what we are doing. What an act of faith haha. It was a pretty big church as well. So we shared about Living Water and the ride and so forth... They then proceded to take an offering for our cause. How unbelievable. We just showed up to church because we really wanted to have some good fellowship and worship The Lord and then this happens. God had bigger plans for us today than we did. The sermon was amazing and it was about giving, giving a lot more than just mere money. He used cycling as a visual, and mentioned our cause, many times in his sermon. I just couldn't believe it and felt so humbled. I mean really we are just a few cycling crazies. The church donated $2519 to Living Water for our well. What a shock. Although I am realizing that God loves to shock me so I should start getting used to it. But our second well is now funded which blows my mind. We are not done either! Let's see what more God has. 

We met many other amazing people there as well. Mike and Jo took us out for lunch and we had some amazing fellowship. Bob referred us to his bike shop he goes to to get whatever we needed fixed, all on him. Jenny went to the grocery store and got us some necessities, and also plugged us in to some of their ministries. Jenny also is going to send a suitcase full of water bottles etc. to Guatemala with us. WOW GOD!!!

What a church, what an experience. Check it out at dotheword.com
Soon the live video sermon should be online of the sermon today. You don't want to miss this one believe me. I will post a link ASAP. 

We then biked an easy 30 miles for an rest day and ended at a perfectly peaceful state park. Tomorrow will be quite the day again. I am looking forward to the surprises that God has in store. Also we should be able to connect with a lot more churches from here on out. So keep praying for those encounters. 

Mississippi River sign at night 

Grace church

Grace church outside

Chester was so amazing to us

Chester is also the home of popeye

Riding along the Mississippi 


I hope you are encouraged as we are. 
God bless,
Tailwinds,
Mark












1 comment:

  1. Did you have any connection to Grace Church before stopping there for the service?
    or did you just make a "random" selection based on location, convenience or the name?

    ReplyDelete