Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Finish Lined. Day 55 10.30.2013. 81 miles from Kinston to Atlantic Beach


Today we finished this epic ride. 

We did it. Together. 

What can one even say, or write, about such a dream-fulfilling accomplishment? 

Atlantic Beach
Living Water Shot!

Is this real?

The End marked so many things... Reinsertion to a normal life for one. Being out of "society" for so long brought a sense of freedom. Our goals were simple... bike as far as we could each day, share with, and meet, as many people as we could, and raise awareness for the water situation around the world. The simplicity of life, although physically strenuous at times, was beautiful. When people talk about living more simply, I think the ultimate goal they are referring to is bike touring. 


The End brought a sense of fulfillment, knowing that we had been dedicated to the dream and the call. What made it more fulfilling was that so much of it was not on our own strength. It is not like I want a lot of credit for accomplishing this feat, rather I want very little. I know that truly all the credit that there may be, can be given to our incredibly loving and faithful God who poured out so much undeserved grace on us in so many occasions. Looking back at it is more mind-blowing than it was in the moment. So many people reached out their giving hand to help out a couple of crazy mid-20's dudes. I love love love how God uses imperfect people to accomplish His perfect plan. It truly doesn't get any better than that. 


The End was, for lack of a better term, very bitter-sweet. It was the moment I had been envisioning for quite a while with excitement. But, I also envisioned the moment with quite a bit of sadness or even a hint of fear. Would I want to be done? Would I want to just continue biking into a figurative forever? I did not know. I do not know. I could sense the feeling of relief that would come with The End, but I ended up thinking that my relief would be short lived. Once I rested for a few days would I be able to contain my fidgety legs? I have come to realize that finishing this season of life is a great thing... It is time to move on and pursue the next thing, or things, that God is calling me to. I will continue to live a life of faith... I have to... I have learned that there is no better way to live. I am sure riding a bicycle will continue to be a source of enjoyment, passion, joy, agony, fear, and fulfillment throughout the rest of my life. 


The End brought a true love for the bicycle. The bicycle has become a symbol, and tool, that will be cemented in my heart and soul from now until the end of time. The love for the bicycle was already strong... one could ask anyone who knows myself, but after this trip the love has grown into a much deeper appreciation because of the depth that the bicycle reaches into ones heart, testing the motivation and ones true desire for travel. A bicycle makes a true traveler out of us all. The places that this little amazing machine has been able to take me, when mixed with some heart and grit, truly amaze me. Sonora pass. Zion. Monarch Crest. Ozarks. Creeper Trail. The Apps. The Ocean. The Other Ocean. The Bicycle. 


The End cemented a faith that can not be shaken. Jesus told us to build our life on the rock, and I have found that that rock is a faith in the unseen, or sometimes the unknown. When God calls it is a solid as a rock. When man calls, it truly can only be as strong as the sand. When operating under myself, or my own conditions, nothing will ever stand. It is only when I operate under His calling, His leading, that anything may stand strong. We are called to serve, which seems to contradict the human idea of being a rock. Why would a rock make oneself less to serve? A rock is supposed to be strong right? A rock should never come under anything is the natural thought. But the reality is that a rock serves, makes oneself less, and honors the will of the all powerful Father. Somehow, someway, riding my bicycle for this long, and this far, has brought this out of my heart. I can't necessarily explain it, but if you want to know... I bet if you tried it you would understand these same things. 


The End brings me to my knees in thankfulness. I am so thankful to Jesus for his grace on us. For God bringing us through the tough times. For God protecting us. For God bringing so many Godly, God fearing, God serving, people into our path to create such an inspiring environment for us to ride in. THANK YOU. 


The End proves to myself that I am crazy. That was crazy. I love doing the crazy. 


The End. 



Thank you for following our blogs and our journey. 

God Bless,

Tailwinds,

Mark


----------


There are more to come as well... such as...

- top 10 roads

- worst 10 roads

- Top 5 Memories

- Hardest Days

- Most fulfilling Days


2 comments:

  1. Such a joy and privilege to follow your journey!

    Jan (Billings) Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a worthy cause that required commitment, sweat, pain and joy! Enjoyed the journey and proud of you guys! To God be the glory!
    Brenda Ernst

    ReplyDelete